Accidents in which pedestrians are hit by cars occur every day throughout Pennsylvania and the U.S. Some, unfortunately, are fatal. Although some risks always exist when walkers and drivers share the roadway, you can take steps to protect yourself and your loved ones and decrease the chances of a pedestrian accident in Pennsylvania taking place.
- Wear bright or reflective clothing. Bright colors and jackets with reflective strips will help drivers see you. If you’re walking at night, consider carrying a flashlight along with wearing reflective clothing.
- Never trust drivers. Always make sure that drivers heed a stop sign or streetlight before stepping out in front of them. Remember, the driver may be distracted and may not see you until it’s too late.
- Never cross in the middle of a block. Drivers are rarely looking for pedestrians in the middle of a block, and parked traffic can hide you from a driver’s sight. Cross only at intersections, preferably those that are marked for pedestrians with crosswalks and signals.
- Avoid distractions. Use your cell phone or look at the map only when your vehicle is parked or safely alongside the road. If passengers are distracting you, remind them to stay quiet, especially in areas with lots of traffic or many pedestrians. Try recruiting passengers to help you scan the road ahead for hazards.
- Obey all traffic laws. Come to a complete stop at all stop signs and red lights. Pay special attention to intersections and crosswalks. Do not speed up to slip through a yellow light; come to a stop instead if possible.
- Take special care at dawn and dusk, when the setting sun or the gathering darkness may obscure your vision. If the sun is in your eyes, a pedestrian walking towards you may not realize you cannot see him or her. Drive more slowly if necessary and scan the edges of the road for movement that may signal a pedestrian.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident, an experienced pedestrian accident lawyer in Pennsylvania or a skilled Philadelphia car injury attorney can help you get deserved compensation. Our attorneys at Anapol Weiss have the knowledge and experience to examine the details of your accident and help you hold negligent parties responsible for their actions. Please call 1-866-735-2792 for a free consultation.